Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Dinner Fiasco

Last night the plan was to cook Hamburger Stroganoff over rice.   I put the rice in the rice cooker and knew that it would take 30 minutes to cook (I knew this because I read the manual & became very informed about my rice cooker).  In the meantime I did the dishes and planned on starting the sauce with 15 minutes left to go on the rice. 

I finished the dishes and plopped the hamburger meat I had thawed earlier onto the pan and my nose curled a bit.  It didn't smell quite right.  I may not be a chef but I knew that meat should not be ingested (I also "googled" it...it was a no go).  Wonderful!  I had 5 cups of cooked white rice sitting in the rice cooker with NOTHING to be put over it.  Needless to say, I was frustrated.   I flopped myself on the couch and announced that I had NO idea what to make for dinner!

My husband, being the wonderful man he is and knowing that my perfectionism was about to bring on a breakdown, got up from the computer and exclaimed that he would make a MISSIONARY SPECIAL! I raised my eyebrows and he put it in layman's terms, "We're going to WING IT!"

Ok, so if you know me, I never wing it!  I can't. I just can't and I refuse to do it.  I have to have control and I need to make everything perfect.  This quality is annoying, I am working on it.

David pulled out some chicken we had, cut it up and grilled it.  In a pan he put the chicken with garlic, taco seasoning, olive oil, and pepper.  After mixing that all together he threw in the rice to let it "brown".  I was skeptical.  I didn't know much about cooking but I did know that taco seasoning and garlic don't go together.  I also knew that, most of the time, rice needs a sauce or you will be left with a very dry meal. 

I kept looking at the pan with my eyes wide and arms folded.  He served the "mixture" in a bowl and we both took a bite.  

It was horrible.  BUT we both laughed and suddenly my husband had made my evening go from frustration and hopelessness to hilarity and spontaneity.  Needless to say, we went out to dinner :)

I love my husband.  Thank you David for putting up with my perfectionism and lack of desire to cook big, fabulous meals.   Thank you for making me laugh and for reminding me of what is really important in life.  I love you.

P.S.  We have been married for 5 months today. Yay for us! :D

3 comments:

  1. hahahahahaha i love david's valiant attempt to save the evening. what a good hubbie.

    doesn't food seem to expire ten times faster than it did when you lived at home? there must be some secret our mom's haven't told us.

    oh. and i made some delicious chicken the other night and forgot to put the meat i didn't use back in the freezer. i woke up the next morning and was like "how did i miss that??"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! :) Just so you know... I am going to call you in my perfectionist frustration when my dinner plans go wrong too! Boy am I glad you got married first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah i was waiting for david to come through with some miraculous feast.. but that was just my fairytail ending mindset that i blame on Disney..

    But the reality was much better! you two are so cute and i love your blog! lol

    ps congratulations on grad school!! :)

    ReplyDelete